I'm FINALLY in a holiday spirit, and it's due to the following songs:
1. The Most Offensive Christmas Song Ever - South Park. Oh my god. Laugh every single time. And if you don't know what Kenny's saying? Um... maybe you shouldn't click on this link to read. Ahahaha! Nothing's sacred.
2. The Dreidel Song - South Park. I love this song so much, I made a Buffyverse Karruhl about Willow being gay. Now I can sing it year round.
3. John Denver and the Muppets - Peace Carol. Oh, this album makes me happy. I loved the Muppet Show when I was a kid. Still do. Miss Piggy's infatuation with John Denver - hee! This song is my signal every year to get in the mood.
4. John Denver and the Muppets - Christmas is Coming. This is a fun, traditional round that my kids love trying to sing. Ha'penny fumbles them every time.
Just an aside, but when they sing "Wish You A Merry Christmas" and get to the chorus of "now bring us some figgy pudding" and Miss Piggy butts in indignantly with: Piggy Pudding? And someone says, "No, figgy pudding. It's made out of figs. And bacon." I laugh every time. It's the simple things in life...
5. Herb Alpert & The Tijuana Brass - Jingle Bells. OH MY GOD. This song fills me with GLEE. If you had any inkling as to how sad I am that this is only on LP and not CD... somecandytalkin? I know you get my pain.
6. Sarah MacLachlan - Song For a Winter's Night. Oh, so beautiful. Christmas songs HAVE to be singable. I cannot STAND remakes of traditional songs where the "singer" does a bunch of runs, trying to "jazz it up." GAH. To be honest, my most favorite holiday music is choral music, but that comes from having a choir master for a father and the month of December consisting of concerts three and four times a week of traditional music from the 1600s on. JOY. Oh, and Sarah MacLachlan has the voice of a womanly angel. *glee!*
7. I Saw Three Ships - Evening Song. This is my dad's choir. I like this song because it doesn't come off preachy, even though it is steeped in Christian themes. And the sopranos are like GLASS.
8. Gloria en Excelsis Deo - Evening Song. I would go back to church if only to sing this song. My alto rocks. My absolute most favorite hymn to sing, and honestly, that's the only reason I stayed "religious" - the music.
(For those in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, you can go to my dad's website and check out their performing schedule. Most performances are free.)
And entrenous88 was promised my fudge recipe, and it's been a super secret recipe for YEARS. Ha. It's the original Fantasy Fudge recipe - but they changed it and it isn't the SAME. Here you go:
2 sticks of butter
3 C sugar
1 5oz. can of EVAPORATED milk (I use fat free.)
1 tsp. vanilla
1 12 oz. bag of semi-sweet chocolate chips (or milk choc.)
1 7 oz. jar of jet-puffed marshmallow CREME. (not marshamallows)
1 C pecans (or walnuts, or macadamias... fudge needs nuts!)
First three ingredients in heavy bottom pot. Bring to a boil and CONSTANTLY stir for 5 minutes once it begins to boil Most important step right there. After 5 minutes, remove from heat, carefully add vanilla (it will bubble again), and use your hot spoon to get all of the marshmallow creme out of the jar, stir in vigorously, and add chocolate chips. Stir until all blended, quickly add nuts and pour in 9 x 13 pan, smoothing before it sets. Let it cool completely before cutting. (A thin, flexible knife or spatula edge is best - like a pastry cutter). I usually make about 10 batches. I have enemies that suck it up and smile and bat their lashes to get their holiday package of fudge. OH, so tasty.
And because I am sooo pleased about new developments over in my RPG that Sue confessed she doesn't get - *sob!* - J. Lo has joined us over at a_list_celebs. (Okay, Sue, you said you didn't get why Prince had a unicorn and lost his arms in a Dance Off and it's because he is FEROCIOUS with his sexual moves! Those arms couldn't stay on with moves like that!). Oh, yeah. J. Lo. She is HILARIOUS. You know you're going to be surfing the web for the next two weeks, bored with the holidays making everything weird at your work/school/prison, and you want something silly and outrageous to read. Well, I have just given you the keys to the asylum. Check out the characters fact sheets if you're wondering what the hell is going on. Some are just funny - like Jennifer Aniston is DRY and snarky and funny, and some are just insane, like Donatella Versace. We also have Mel Gibson. Heee!
Happy hump day! My DVD of Ultraviolet came last night, so I will be immersed in Jack Davenport/Vampire sexiness today... Fare thee well!
[ETA!!!!] IT IS SNOWING. IN TEXAS. I HAVE SNOW FLAKES. It's a Chrismakwanzakah MEEERACLE!