[ETA]: Um, for those of you who have never used Up-File before, scroll down a bit and on the right is a blue hyperlink (small) that reads: up-file all 4you. I like up-file because they have UNLIMITED DOWNLOADS. Sorry, for those who haven't used them before! :)
1. "..and I'm as hard as steel." I Need Love - LL Cool J Cool James' big foray into the world of tender love-makin' songs, damn. He even says in the song that he loves his mysterious perfect woman already, and he's waiting to meet her. No, that's not skeevy.
2. "..a little East Coast swaaaaang." Motown Philly - Boyz 2 Men I haven't listened to these guys in years, and they are STILL SO GOOD. I dare you to listen to this song and be in a bad mood and not wriggle. Motown is my FAVORITE. (Bel, Bivens and DaVoe, dontcha know? Hey!)
3. "...at least two pairs. Fendi Bag and a bad attitude... That's all I need to put me in a good mood." Around The Way Girl - LL Cool J If you ignore the first line (I want a girl with extensions in her hair) and just listen to this, it makes Cool J sound like a tranny. Heeeee!
4. "...of a black planet." By The Time I Get To Arizona - Public Enemy I still say Chuck D has the best voice in all of hip hop/rap, hands down. They put on a hell of a show back in the day, too, yeah, BOYYEEEEE!
5. "Run's HOUSE!" Run's House - Run DMC The Kings of Rap. Still one of the all-time best rap albums EVER. It's Tricky, My Addidas... COME ON.
6. "...but they don't fall down!" Peter Piper - Run DMC My most favorite, FAVORITE song of theirs. You'll listen and smile IMMEDIATELY when you hear the "rock the bells!" in the background. Everyone uses it, here's the original.
7. "...made my day!" Same song as above. It's just the BEST, Jerry! The Best!
8. "...like to say hello! To the black to the white, the red and the brown, the purple and yellow, but first, I gotta: bang bang, the boogy to the boogity up jump the boogy to the bang bang boogy let's rock, you don't stop! Rock the rhythm that will make your body rock." I'm a bit of a spazz. Rapper's Delight - The Sugarhill Gang. This is a roller skating song DELUXE.
9. "...Snoop Doggy Dogg and Dr. Dre is at yo' do'." Nuthin' But a G Thang - Dr Dre "Falling back on that ass with a hellafied gangsta lean, getting funky on tha mike like an old batch of collard greens." GOOD LORD I LOVE SHANTE. I mean, Snoop. :)
10. "...I'm LOCO?" Insane in the Brain - Cypress Hill I love the carnival music samples in this like I love my KIDS.
11. "...in a Burger King Bathroom!" Humpty Dance - Digital Underground If you look closely in the video to this song, you'll see one of the backup dancers is Tupac Shakur. No lie. I love the Funkadelic samples and the dirty bass.
12. "...Compton!" Straight Outta Compton - NWA The real birth of gangsta rap. Raw, cold, and damn fine to nod ya head to.
13. "..oh my Lord! Thank you, for blessing me!" U Can't Touch This - MC Hammer And I don't think anyone really got this wrong, which is... well, it's a little sad. Hammer, PLEASE don't hurt 'em.
14. "...we don't bother nobody!" Slick Rick and Doug E Fresh - Lodi Dodi Doug E Fresh is the MASTER of the beat box. I could listen to good beat boxin' all day. (And even though he's silly, Biz Markie is tha BOMB on the beat box. I love the little moment in MIB:2 with him and Will Smith. COME ON. Fresh Prince and Oh Baby You! You Got What I neeeeeeed! Heeeee!)
15. "...yeah, you know me! I got you jumpin' and pumpin' and moving all around, G!" Jump - Kriss Kross Aw. They were fun for about three weeks.
And now for NON-RAP/HIP-HOP music.
I love Nouvelle Vague so very very much. 80s New Wave, as if done by a French lounge act in Argentina. What is not to love? Cover songs:
Blue Monday (New Order)
Don't Go (Yaz) <-- that makes me so incredibly happy, I can't stand it.
Dance With Me (Lords of the New Church)
And everyone's heard KT Tunstall's Black Horse and Cherry Tree (which is a great song, yes.) But here's Suddenly I See, and I love how nice and happy it is. (I'm a fan of singable music.) Nice little "coming out" song. :)
Camera Obscura is another band I've just finally gotten around to listening to. The singer's voice is like a combination of The Cranberries and The Sundays. There is no bad there. (a bit Euro-folky)
A Sister's Social Agony
(their song "Lunar Sea" while pleasant, reminds me of "The Wicker Man" so much, I can't stop giggling.)
Okay, that's probably enough for now. :) Enjoy! Lemme know if you're taking anything - doesn't matter which. (And if anyone has the new Nouvelle Vague album that came out Tuesday, how is it? Ditto on Sufjan Steven's albums of extras from Illinois...)