I am a TOOL. Just, heads up. So I just had a crying session (complete with trembly pout! Go me!) because I can't exercise. My STOOPID fugging Achilles is a red-hot fire poker in my leg as soon as I put on shoes with a back. I have slip on "running shoes" which is to say, I have mules by New Balance that make it easy for me to hit the grocery store. Exercise in them? Riiiiiiight. All of that strength I built up, all of the toning and POWER I felt from working out is just pffffft. Gone. IT COULD BE SIX WEEKS TO RECOVER. BAH.
Wah, wah, some people have no legs, I know. But GOD DAMN. Exercise is my therapy. How I get my day started right. It's as important as my cup of coffee and newspaper, and I'm nothing if not a creature of habit. And it HURTS. (My foot, not my wanky crybaby soul. Ha ha.) I tried to just walk the kids to school, like I do EVERY DAY and I couldn't. FUCK. I feel like I'm letting my kids down by changing the schedule - that's how I make sure THEY have a good day, too. Walk to school, talk about our day, etc. It's how I encourage them to move and be healthy, too. WAAAAH. God, I'm embarrassing myself.
(Swear to god, the first person that says "take a break! You deserve it!" or "but you just did that huge walk, you're fine" is getting a lame New Balance 485 in stylish grey and pink up their kiester.) I"M LIKE BUFFY IN THE HOSPITAL, TRYING TO SAVE PEOPLE BUT UNABLE. Ahahaha. Ha ha. Okay, laughing at myself is good. but I totally am like her. Hee hee!
[ETA!] Have just tested out the elliptical treadmill, and it's a GO. Which is very gratifying. But I like being outside. But I'm being a WHINER McBitcherson, which means I should shaddup. Yay, Nordictrack!
And I just got the arthritis cream the doc gave me in my EYE OH MY GOD OW OWOWOW. You know what this calls for? LAUGHING. Lots and lots of laughing. And good fic! GOOD THING I KNOW WHERE SOME IS. This ficathon* I joined has turned out some FANTASTIC FIC. Like sitcoms like Newsradio? Scrubs? Friends? Sports Night? Kitchen Confidential? The Office? How about HITCHKIKER'S GUIDE TO THE GALAXY, people?? So much goodness. I read almost all of the fics this weekend. There were a few that had crappy formatting, and I just couldn't do it. I don't care if it's the Holy Grail of fic, if it's a solid block of letters, I won't read it. The masterlist is here, and these are the ones I thought were especially awesome:
(there are no Sports Night fics listed, because I never watched the show, but they appear to be well received. Check the masterlist for those fics.)
- The Office, Jim/Ryan and before you reel back, it's AWESOME. It's completely plausible, and the voices are perfect. sophia_helix is one of the best writers in that fandom.
- Early Newsradio, when Matthew starts working and Bill (Phil Hartman) makes him his bitch. But not like that. autumn_grunge
- ONE OF THE BEST. Arrested Development meets Newsradio. Oh holy crap, this is such a great idea, and I don't DO crossovers. Jimmy James. Michael Bluth. GOD oh my god GOB. iamsab who is one of the co-mods for the 'thon.
- The Office, Jim/Pam. A retelling of Casino Night, but not like you think. Much more in line with the show's achy feel, instead of a "fix it" fic. And it's very good. by lavenderlola
- Not funny, but absolute excellence. Post-Korea M*A*S*H, Hawkeye and Peg (BJ's wife). annakovsky knows these characters like family.
- swmbo wrote a cute and painful (because Ryan/Kelly is funny but AWFUL, which makes it funnier) ficlet that includes a dirty fish. And American Idol. Haha.
- Another Office/Arrested Development crossover. Maeby and Michael. Pam and Jim. ANOTHER ONE OF THE VERY BEST. by roz_mclure (in script format, which I actually prefer.)
- Again, another AD crossover with The Office and holy crap, she KNOWS GOB BLUTH. That may be the best Gob I've read. Gob/Kelly Kapoor. I howled reading this. by kyrafic, another of the co-mods.
- Short AD fic, post series. Michael/Lindsay and I loved the images this made. I could see it. Plus, bonus for being short and tightly written, and including the staircar. by sloganeer
- The Office, more screw ups by Michael, a HILARIOUS Stanley, and a bet between Jim and Pam. by angryhaiku. She does a terrific job of making a readable fic that feels like an episode, with the talking heads and so forth. Great fic.
- Because I am not ashamed to self-pimp, I wrote a Scrubs fic, gen, ensemble, but in JD's POV involving made-up holidays. Knife-wrench is never NOT going to be funny. Neither are double negatives never not. Ha.