What Is On This Zipped File? you may be asking... (In no order)
1. Talib Kweli (with Jay Z, Kanye West, Mos Def and Busta Bust!) - Just To Get By - My Laws. If you need something that will: a) acknowledge that life can suck, b) that we all mess up, c) but dammit, it's better when life WORKS, so you keep on trying, and that brings you pride and satisfaction, then this is your song. Oh, and it's TOTALLY AWESOME. Chorus:
This morning, I woke upHell yeah.
Feeling brand new and I jumped up
Feeling my highs, and my lows
In my soul, and my goals
Just to stop smokin', and stop drinkin'
And I've been thinkin - I've got my reasons
Just to get (by), just to get (by)
Just to get (by), just to get (by)</font></font>
2. Hip Hop (party mix) - Dead Prez - oh my GOODNESS the bass and low end in this song! Not to mention that those who love Dave CHapelle should recognize that as the intro music for his old show. And the words in this song! I love the Pro Black mindset - so positive and encouraging of people to PAY ATTENTION. "You would rather have a Lexus, some justice, a dream or some substance?
A Beamer, a necklace or freedom?"
3. Staying Alive - The Fugees Brazilian fight dancing in disco clothes, that was the BEST VIDEO. *sigh* Remember videos? And music? [/nostalgia] I love Wyclef Jean. LOVE him. He's a poor kid from HAITI teaching people to go to the library, because knowledge is free power. *loves* "If you've got more than a dollar in yo pocket, raise your hand."
4. All Night Long - The Roots on music, Eryka on backup and Common on lead vocals. Holy CRAP this makes me feel like I'm a kid of the 70s again. I love this kind of smoothed out neo-soul hip hop jazz fusion. I want like, collard greens with slivered almonds, sushi with BBQ sauce and grits with bleu cheese and a fine wine to go with this song.
5. Ready Or Not - The Fugees I want Lauryn Hill to be my mother. She has the most wonderful "earth mother" voice (one of my top 5 voices in all of musical history, actually) that makes me want to shrink down to toddler size and be cuddled while she sings me to sleep. I love that they sampled ENYA for this song. (And thanked her profusely.) Also, Lauryn OUT SANG Roberta Flack, what?! That song was on CONSTANT ROTATION in my house growing up. (Killing me softly, ftr. I will upload that for anyone who wants it, btw.)
6. Love of My Life - Common & Eryka Badu This may be one of my most favorite "I love this man right here. *points and kisses his cheek*" songs So simple and sweet, and they were together when they made this song (they have a baby together, but are no longer in a relationship.) I just love that it's honest about them having to grow up to be right for each other. "My friend became the/love of my life!/You are my friend/ I can depend." and
"Whenever I got lonely/or needed some advice
he gave me his shoulder/his words were very nice
But that is all behind me/And now there is no other
My love is his and his is mine/my friend became the
Love of my life."
7. 99 Problems - JayZ Not neo-soul in the slightest, but I love JayZ. LOVE! And annakovsky linked to a chart based on this song the other day and I LOL'd. "If you're having girl problems, I feel bad for you, son."
8. D'Angelo ft. The Roots and Eryka Badu - Shining Star - All you need to know is "featuring The Roots." I would listen to an hour of ?uestlove TUNING his drums, much less keeping a smoothed out jazz beat. I love that The Roots is made up of some of the best, most solid studio musicians in the business, but are so SMOOOOOV. B.
9. So In Love With You - Eryka Badu & Ziggy Marley This song makes me wish I lived on the Carribean ocean and had a thatched roofed hut over the water, and you had to walk along pylon tops to a hammock suspended over the water with nothing around but the breeze and a floating (and anchored) cocktail bar. And reminisce about first love with an ocean breeze and water the only sounds. Ahhhhhhhh. *bliss*
10. Ain't No Steppin' - Big Daddy Kane - oh my GOD this song is my 10th year in high school, me staying up to watch "Yo, MTV Raps!" and practicing my dance moves for the next church/school dance, AHAHAHA!!! *grabs ankle, pumps leg back and forth* "When my pen hits the paper? Aw, shit!" Hee hee! Man, that song takes me back. Good times. Good times.
11. Brown Sugar - Mos Def - I loooooove Mos Def. Brooklyn RepreSENT! This is grilling music. *points you to the cooler out by the pool* Who wants what? *points to variety of meats, chips and dips on the picnic tables*
12. Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours) Stevie Wonder - I have this ongoing test in my head of what songs could never be vidded to Angel: The Series. (It's not for you to judge, it's between me and my Lord, which is coffee.) This was one of those. It's so sweet and happy! And then I thought about how a funny vid would be this song with Gunn in that house? You know how he signed his soul away to Wolfram&Hart, and punished himself for Fred? That could be here, then cut to Lindsey being in the house, and then end with the Demon that lives in that dimension. It could be funny! Just me, then?
HUMP DAY. Not Lady Lumps Day. (Has everyone seen the Alanis Morisette parody of that song? Ahahahaha!)