1. Sanford & Son Theme Song This is maybe the best overall theme song next to the one for Barney Miller. (Best bass line ever. Second best bass line in a theme song? Night Court.) Okay, now I want to make a list of awesome TV show songs:
#1 The Jeffersons (who doesn't know this that's from the US and over 30?)
#2 Barney Miller (terrific show, AWESOME theme song) TIED WITH Good Times! (oh my god, Penny. Janet!!!!)
#3 Sanford & Son (is it just me, or do you whistle this one when you see some broken down POS on the road? Just me? Ha ha. Also great about it: electric organ.)
#4 Night Court (again: see bass line.)
#5 M*A*S*H (Suicide is painless. Damn, that was a great show.)
If anyone suggests Friends in comments, I might smack you.
2. 22-20s - The Devil In Me is a song that's new to me, and it is fashioned from equal parts of fantastic, kick ass, and aw yeah. If you have any other songs by them and feel like sharing, I'm open! This song makes me want to wear skinny jeans, a leather jacket, and punk my hair up and kick a mic stand over. WHOOO!
3. Bhangra Remix ft. Lodi Dodi Hey, how about some Bhangra, my second most favorite style of music EVER? (Dude, and this is no exaggeration. Okay, maybe a little. No matter what I'm doing, talking to the UPS man, standing in line at the bank, getting open heart surgery, if some Bhangra pop comes on, I'm dancing. EVEN IF I'M IN SURGERY.)
This is a (clearly) mash up of Bhangra (side note, that is the word for old religious songs, and the leaders of that faith in the 60s tried to get the kids back into their belief system by making them "fun." True story.) and "Lodi Dodi." Tell me how awesome it is in 25 words or less. You can't, because the awesome is TOO GREAT.
4. Sharon Jones & The Dap Kings - 100 Days 100 Nights I'm pretty sure everyone's heard of Sharon Jones and the Dap Kings by now, but in case you haven't, here's the big hit off their album. The whole album has maybe 75% awesome on it, you have to be really into old school blues to like every one of them, imo. I like the kind of blues that don't sound like the blues, but more like, the angers. Or the funks. :D
5. UTFO - Roxanne, Roxanne This is one of my most favorite rap songs of all time. It raps about various illnesses, AS A PICK UP LINE. <3 True story #2 (but actually true) in an 8th grade speech debate meet, they let people do lip-synching (why? Who cares. Don't question the fantastic weirdness of this.) And I chose this song. I came in second, but that's not the point. The point is what the hell were they thinking at UIL? I even had BREAK DANCE MOVES. *pop locks* For the record, my greatest "white girl who loves hip hop" moment was in 7th grade, Texas History. On my report on the Alamo I dressed up two of my friends in making bolero jackets that I HAD MADE FOR THEM, and rapped to "The Rapping Duke," but changed the lyrics to reflect the tale of the Alamo. Instead of "Aretha Franklin, Aretha Franklin," yadda yadda it was "Uh Santa Ana, uh Santa Ana..." I got an A+.
1. Blackmore Nights - Home Again This is an Irish group, and if we're in the car, the whole family sings out to this one. It's a great traffic song (or anytime song.) Makes me want to grab a point, kiss Moira, and call out, "It's tree tirty tree! The greatest toime in all of Ireland!"
2. Ike and Tina Turner - Shake A Tail Feather Anyone who's seen The Blues Brothers should know this song. And come on. Let me see ya shake ya tailfeather. (Aww, twistin'! Shake-a-shake-a-shake-a-shake-a-baby!)
3. Austin Powers Theme Song - Quincy Jones You need to know two things: I just did the whole intro dance in my house and scared my cat. What a pussy. Two, anything Quincy Jones does is GOLD.
4. Pushing Daisies - Birdhouse in your Soul How awesome to hear Ellen Greene and Kristen Chenoweth sing together? SO awesome. <3 <3 Ellen Greene's voice is so damn terrific.
5. One of the best. songs. Ever. Papa Was a Rolling Stone - Sly and the Family Stone Mama, I'm depending on you/to tell me the truth! Mama just hung her head and said....
Good lord. That song is just too much. TOO MUCH! I LOVE IT. (I hate when people misspell songs/groups when they rip. Um, PAPA. Not Pappa.)
(the songs are in a Box.net widget. If you can't see it, you can go directly to their site and play/dl.)
GOOD MORNING, EVERYONE! Unless you live elsewhere, then GOOD EVENING, FRIENDS. Also, anelith? YOU ARE A STINKER. A wonderful, wonderful stinker. Got your package, and thank you so much. I LOVE them. And you!