Today is a day of awesomeness. I will bullet point them for clarity and simplicity.
- swmbo got the bacon-chocolate I sent her and we will determine ONCE AND FOR ALL if it is delicious. My thanks to LutherCorp for serving as a testing facility. (hahaha)
- I have scheduled surgery on my knee, and I no longer need total knee replacement, which is AWESOME. Let's hear it for regular, steady exercise and yoga!
- plans have been solidified to go to the BFF's for Spring Break and see the horses and manatees (there are manatees in the river/spring behind her house! MANATEES.)
- she might be getting Junior Brown back (due to sad circumstances, but BABY HORSE back with its mama! \o/)
- Today is a new day with no mistakes in it (and lots of sunshine predicted)
- Two days left until the weekend!
- Perfect scores on Jessica, Bad Reputation, and Jordan yesterday, including a high score that NO ONE IN MY HOUSE CAN BEAT, aww yeah [/Guitar Hero dorkout]
- I will be getting Rock Star this weekend, because I'm dying to get the Metallica pack. METALLICA! Oh my god. I'm so there it's INSANE [/Eunice]
- finding out that the "shaman" seen with Paris "Just one more cock, mom!" Hilton is an OUT OF WORK ACTOR, ahahaha
- and lastly, having done my civic duty last night and caucusing, even though Texas has a STOOPID Dem. convention (and my county carried Obama, WHOO freaking HOO!)
Feel free to comment with all the good things in your life! *passes around punch and pie* <-- which reminds me, I found the BEST blueberry pie recipe. I'll add an ETA (and a cut) later for those who wanted one the other day. HOLY YUM. (Esp. with the homemade French vanilla bean ice cream. And I STILL dropped two pounds this week. DUDE. Life is sweet.)
Deep Dish Blueberry pie
(I have a 10 inch ceramic pie dish, and used pre-made pie crusts, because life is too short. haha.)
3 tablespoons cornstarch
3 tablespoons rum or water (I used water this go 'round. I am surrounded by a complete lack of rum at the moment)
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
2/3 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
8 cups blueberries, picked over
An egg wash made by beating 1 egg with 2 teaspoons water
1 1/2 tablespoons sugar (I omitted this step, and it came out delicious.)
In a large bowl stir together the cornstarch, the rum, the lemon juice, the sugar, and the cinnamon. Add the blueberries, and combine the mixture well.
Put first crust in pan, leaving an overhang. Pour the filling in, top with second crust. Fold the overhang under, pressing the dough to the edge of the dish, and crimp the edge decoratively. Make slits and holes in the crust for air vents, brush the crust with the egg wash, and sprinkle it with the sugar. Bake the pie on a baking sheet in the middle of a preheated 375 degree F oven for 1 hour to 1 1/4 hours, or until the filling is bubbly and the crust is golden. Transfer the pie to a rack and let it cool. The pie may be made 1 day in advance and kept at room temperature.
(My pie was done and perfectly golden on top in one hour and four minutes. <-- for my own records.
The only thing I might do differently is use half the water, if not using rum. The filling was a bit runny, which is what the family likes. I like filling to be a bit firmer, personally.)