Instead of focusing on the words of the woman-hating Apostle Paul, how about focusing on what JESUS said? Because, my guess? And I'm going out on a limb here, Christianity is actually based on Jesus, not the other schleps. I know, I know, crazy talk. For those of you doing it right? Good for you. For those of you not? Allow me.
Spare the rod, spoil the child, blah blah blah. Are you seriously going to model your life after a mindset more than 2000 years old, when people didn't think there was anything wrong with having women be beneath the importance of livestock? The glory of God is intelligence, people, and our brains were designed to grow and evolve. Anyhoodle....
Jesus' stance on how to treat children, and imo, THIS does away with the whole OT training on child-rearing. Which, you know, Jesus himself said (atheists, bear with me) that He came to bring about a new law.
- Matthew 18 - the whole beginning of this. 1-2 "Who is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven?" And Jesus called a little child unto him, and set him in the midst of them.
- 6: But whoso shall offend one of these little ones which believe in me, it were better for hm that a millstone were hanged about his neck and that he were drowned in the depth of the sea."
- 10: Take heed that ye despise not one of these little ones
- 19: 14 "suffer the little children and forbid them not"
- Or how about JESUS' COMMANDMENT: love one another, as I have loved you, that ye also LOVE ONE ANOTHER? (And hey, "by THIS shall ye all men know that ye are my disciples.") So, if you hate your child, or do not SHOW LOVE to your child, then clearly you cannot call yourself a follower or believer of Christ. I'm just saying.
- Matt 5:46, from the Sermon on the Mount, you know, when Jesus basically had a big church service? "For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye?"
You don't want to listen to Jesus? Just the folks after his death that liked to lay claim to knowing another man's mind? Alrighty.
- How about in Corinthians (1 Cor 13:11) when it's clear that children and men aren't the same, nor is it to be expected that they ACT the same? (When I was a child, I spake as a child, blah blah.)
- Or Titus 2:4 "teach the young women to be sober [...] to LOVE THEIR CHILDREN." picking up in 13, "looking for that blessed HOPE."
- Romans 13: 17, 19 "For the kingdom of God is [...] righteousness, and peace, and joy..." "Let us therefore follow after the things which make for peace, and things wherewith one may edify another."
Or how about John, who said (I John 2: 12) "I write unto you, little children, because your sins are forgiven you for his name's sake."
So, okay, she wants to follow the Psalms, fine. But why not 113:9? "Be a JOYFUL mother of children?"
I can't think of much in this world that is more despicable than someone claiming their "god" wants them to treat another like shit, especially when that person is a child. If you honestly believe that your "god" has commanded you to sit a little, tender, unlearned body down and reinforce every single god damned day that they are bad, that they can never be good, that they are WRETCHED, then not only do I say fuck you, but fuck your god, the horse (donkey?) they rode in on, the man that owns the barn to shelter said beast, fuck the man that made the road, the man that raised the crops, the sandal maker, the church builder, the tithes collector, and the guy passing out palm fronds to the other wackadoo believers. And fuck you, twice as hard and as long.
And this isn't some isolated incident. If you haven't seen "Jesus Camp," then that's pretty much their M.O. Look, I'm not a Christian. I'm not a believer in any kind of supernatural being that created us, set things in motion, nada. But I get it, I get why people do. And I studied the Christian faith growing up, pretty hard core. If I can get it, why can't these people? And hasn't everyone at least HEARD of "Carrie?" I can see your dirty pillows!!
(I just found out that there are books that are VERY POPULAR that teach you to SPANK your children, because the bible says to do it - check the fifth paragraph about how sinful your kids are. I notice that everyone glosses over the "stone your son to death if he offends you" and to do it publicly, listed in Deuteronomy. Hey, let's not pick and choose, let's do all the edicts of the Bible, right? *eyerolll*)
Incidentally? Spanking DOESN'T WORK. It just makes angry children. Just thought I'd mention that, as a mother.
EVEN NED FLANDERS DIDN'T SPANK. Are you saying you're more righteous than Ned Diddly-Iddly Flanders?? (Hahahaha.)
And people wonder how I can be an atheist... Again, if you're the kind of Christian that's living your life based on the actual words of Jesus, my hat's off to you. He was a cool dude that had beautiful and loving things to say. This woman? I'd smack her about the head with her own Bible. Please note that she's a MENTAL HEALTH NURSE. Who doesn't believe in teaching children about self-esteem. Uh huh. I'm thinking she's not due for any kind of promotion. Nor should she be allowed to keep her job until she gets her thick skull examined.
Summary: "Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family." ~Stephen Colbert
"We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing all-powerful God, who creates faulty Humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes." ~Gene Roddenberry
In the name of Jesus Christ, AMEN. ;)