1. Chocolate Salty Balls (P.S. I Love You), Chef. Okay, first off, the P.S. I Love You is what makes me laugh. And "hey everybody have you seen my balls they're big and salty and brown," is just fantastic.
2. Superman, R.E.M. Best. Hidden. Track. Ever. Who has a bigger ego than Supe? Well, I can think of one person, but that way leads to blasphemy... :-)
3. Martyr, Rusted Root. *cough* Told ya *cough* Great bouncy hippie song, regardless of the title.
4. Super Bad, James Brown. Gotta jump back and kiss myself. Saw the Hardest Working Man in Showbidness perform in Las Vegas and, I said godDAMN! (thanks, Uma) That man is still moving and grooving in his 60s.
5. Up Against The Wall, 'N Sync. Yep, you read that right. Shaddup. I want to grudge f*ck Justin Timberlake. It's "EGO" people! (and I totally dig this album. DON'T YOU JUDGE ME!!)
6. Tired of "Me," LIVE. Also from their first album. Slow build to AWESOMENESS. Man! I still cannot reconcile the fact that they were teenagers when they did this album. If you like their later stuff, you will explode with love for Mental Jewlery.
7. You're So Vain, Carly Simon. You probably think this song is about YOU. Did she ever say who this was for? Didn't she raffle off the answer for charity or something like that? Was it Warren Beatty?
8. Blue Suede Shoes, by The Colonel. DUDE!! The ego BEHIND the ego! Wrap your head around THAT. :-)
9. Gettin' in the Way, Jill Scott. I love this woman. Such a smokey voice. And people need to figure out that it is all about HER. "M'bout to take my rings off get me some Vaseline!" Wow. That sounds wrong if you don't know the song... She is going to mess up some chick for spreading rumours about her man.
10. Rock is Dead, Marilyn Manson. Hey! Marilyn! Love you in interviews. Like listening to you. But. You are a novelty, dude. Does anyone take him seriously as "frightening" or "subversive?" But this song is from The Matrix, and rocks.
11. Nuttin But a "G" Thang, Dr. Dre and Snoop. Now THIS kind of Ego is what I love.
"fallin back on that ass with a hellafied ganster lean
getting funky on the mic like an old batch of collard greens
Capital S, oh yes, so fresh, N double O - P
D - O double G - Y D - O - double G, ya see?"
DAMN!!! I love it!!
12. Garbage Man, Ike Turner. The man refers to himself in the third person. "Does Ike gots ta choke a bitch to get some Nutter Butters up in here? Come on, now." The prick has a good song here, however. This song is so Pimpafied....
13. We Will Rock You!, Queen. Vinnie, this has the original music video attached, as well! Woot! This satisfies the inner band geek in me. Okay, I was an Orch Dork, but still.
14. Justify My Love, MaDo-me. Sorry, Madildo. Damnit! Madonkey. "Justify My Love." Bitch, you wanna get off or what? :-) I still love this song, however.
15. N.Y., Doves. The only place with a bigger ego than Texas (cuz it's so great here, Bush notwithstanding) is NY. "We're all better off in New York." This song makes me believe it.
16. Where I End and You Begin, Radiohead. First, I would like to say that I think Radiohead makes the best music videos of anyone out there. That being said, this song is trippy and hurtful and wonderful. "Just because you feel it doesn't mean it's there."
17. Bow Wow Wow, Snoop Dogg. "Snoop Dogg's in the Muther F*cking House..." Remember it's EGO. And I know Vinnie likes this kind of music. So, my trippy little friends that this stuff scares, fear not. I can remember being in the Tetons (home of Miss Crumpet's fateful day) and after a long hike and singing of many Phish and Dead tunes, trying to convince them that this new guy "Snoop" was awesome. By the time the song was at "so back up bitch because I'm struggling/ just get on your knees and then start juggling/ these mother f*cking nuts in your mouth" they were looking at me all horrified. What?? That's AWESOME!! Ha ha ha!
18. Stoney End, Barbra Streisand. Because I have an ego, too. "Stoney" is a play on my maiden name, so my dad was always "Stone," "Stoner" etc. Married my mom, she became the singer in their band (no Yoko factor) and she did this tune as a cover. Been a "Stoney" in the fam ever since.