hellziggy had the request of "Animal" so let's see if we all remember our King Phillips Came Over From Great Spain. (That is to say, Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, Species.) Please: I have a degree in Microbiology and am reduced to helping with science fair. Let's let those four years mean something.
Kingdom: Animalia, Phylum: Chordata, Class: Actinopterygii, Order: Perciformes, Family: Sphyraenindae Sphyraena barracuda
1. Barracuda, Heart. HA! Setting the tone, folks. And how kick ass is the opening guitar line? You're thinking it RIGHT NOW.
Order: Siluriformes, Family: Malapteruidae, Malaterurus electicus
2. Fishing Blues, Taj Mahal. I love this man. If you want to have a Huck Finn-type album, get his Greatest Hits. It's bluesy, but Cajun all the way. And Malaterurus electricus is catfish.
Class: Mammalia, Order: Carnivora, Family: Canidae
3. Dog Pound Blues, Ren and Stimpy. Ren is a Chihuahua, hence the microtis. I am really a great, bug nerd, aren't I?
4. Beautiful, Snoop Dogg. I know I just used this song, but I am stuck on it. And this is going to Minnesota, so I didn't want to send "juggling these nuts in ya muthah fuckin' mouth" you know? Trying to be helpful....
5. Atomic Dog, George Clinton. Daddy of funk, y'all. (Heads up to no one in particular: please punctuate y'all properly! you + all = y'all. That is all.)
6. Dog-Faced Boy, Phish. Hee!! Fun with Latin! And Phish kicks pirate treasure.
7. Main Theme from "The Grey Fox," The Chieftans. you know how many damn different genuses of fox there are?? I didn't know either. And I love The Chieftans.
Family: Cibidae, Cebus capunicus
8. Shock the Monkey, Peter Gabriel. It's a capuchin monkey in the video, by the way. A white-faced capuchin, which is classified differently than a black faced. Fun AND learning: it's the Stoney way!
Family: Hominidae, Homo sapiens
9. Teach Your Children Well, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young. Some are no better than animals. But then, humans are in the same family as the "great apes." D'oh!
Order: Perissodactyla, Family: Equidae, Equus Caballus
10. Mairzy Doats, Al Trace. My husband didn't know this song... My dad used to sing it to me when I was a kid. "mairzy doats and dozy doats and little lamzidivy" It's: mares eat oats and does eat oats, and little lambs eat ivy. Hence the Equine nomenclature.
Order: Artiodacytyla, Family: Suidae
11. Piggies, The Beatles. Hee! I love how diverse the White Album is. Every song tackles a different genre.
12. Pigs in Zen, Jane's Addiction. "The bigger you get, the wider you spread."
Class: Aves, Order: Passeriformes, Family: Troglogytidae
13. The Nightingale, Angelo Badalamenti. Can you tell I like him? This is the sad love song from Twin Peaks. Back when Lara Flynn Boyle looked good. And Sherilyn Fynn. Good god, make a person HURT just looking at her.
Kingdom Animalia, en toto
14. Rock Steady, Sting. Who DOESN'T love a song about Noah's ark? Get it! Ha ha ha. I am a loser. But the song is good. It's Sting.
Okay, I'm taking a break over the weekend, but I will get meli_77's out later tomorrow. (It's done, I'll just post it tomorrow or Sunday) and I need anelith and vincentveritas to email me their snail addys. You're next!
Off to get gussied up and drink like a phish! Hee!