1. Love Fool, The Cardigans. My kids LOVE this song. This was our celebratory "homework is finished" song when they started school a few years back. So happy and bouncy. Nerd alert: It reminds me of an episode of STTNG with Picard. "LOVE ME!"
2. Flashlight, George Clinton, with Q-Tip, Foxxy Brown, and Busta Rhymes. 'Scuse me while I pat my fro in place. Wait, it's my turn down the Soul Train line... Don't think I don't have Soul Train moves. I'll kick that Chinese girl (the one with the hair: you know which one) in the ass with my moves of fire.
3. Shake your Rump, The Beastie Boys. Most quotable and groovable BB song. "I got a peg leg, at the end of my stumpAH/ Shake. Your. RumpAH."
4. Hunting, Deep Forest. This is a project by Peter Gabriel. He took an African tribe's songs and set them to techno back beats. I LOVE THIS ALBUM. Can you describe a techno-type album as earthy? Well, I just did.
5. Send Me On My Way, Rusted Root. Jam Bands!!! Love it. And my kids hear this and start creeping towards me saying "Doom on you! Doom on you!!" Anyone? Bueller? You can't say my kids don't come by the weirdness honestly.
6. Me & Julio Down By The Schoolyard, Paul Simon. I hear this, and I'm the girl in the icon, dancing with my dad (while standing on his shoes, of course) in our living room with the fish net and sea shells on the wall. My dad wrote a song for me and my sisters about that very thing. WARM FUZZIES!!
7. No Rain, Blind Melon. Poor little bumblebee girl. All she wanted was to tap dance terribly with stripy socks. I always think of Chris Farley impersonating her on SNL. This is good "dancing while you do laundry" music.
8. Goodbye Seventies, Yaz. Hang on, gotta lace up my skates. I LOVE THIS SONG!! I LOVE ROLLERSKATING!! The two? Like peanut butter in my chocolate. Or is it chocolate in my peanut butter?
9. All In The Groove, Blues Travelers. Again with this song. That's because it is So. Damn. Good! "So jam on jam out jam it in/ 'Til you feel like it's a sin!" This is such a happy butt-shaking tune... Pass the hackey on the right and the dutchey on the left hand side.
10. Lebanese Blonde, Thievery Corporation. This makes me want to be a belly dancer. Or a pole dancer. And then I look down. (This is the groovy song from Garden State when they go to that horrible place in the hotel? The peep show?)
11. Night Train, James Brown. I'm taking you back to the days of the Push. This is such a fantastic mowtown early 60s number. Grab someone and get your butt on the floor.
12. Rock Lobster, B-52s. anelith, I expect you to use this as an aerobic workout. :-) This song calls for the Funky Monkey. And bee-hives. And lots of alcoholic beverages. Or in my case, no shame.
13. Request Line, Black Eyed Peas, featuring Macy Gray (before she sold out). Another of the "dance while you do laundry" songs. Smooth groove. I would rollerskate to this.
14. Song 2, Blur. If I need to figure out where my son is, I blast this in the house and he comes running. He'll ask me to play the "Whoo HOO!" song and he gets a chance to spazz out. Snowboarding! This is the perfect song for it. Still.
15. Sugar Water, Cibo Matto, Remix by Mike D. HOLY SHIZZLE!! Bonus points to the first person who figures out why the remix makes my HEAD ASPLODE. This is the sexy dance Buffy does with Xander, but remixed by MIKE D!! *ASPLODE NOISE*
16. Been Caught Stealing, Janes Addiction. I don't know anyone who doesn't jump up at the sound of those dogs barking. GOOD times.
17. Work It, Missy Elliot. I've tried typing this three times, but had to replay this song over and over. I LOVE MISSY. Git mah her did. Shout out to Hot-lanta! "Just cuz I got a lot of fame SOOpah/Prince couldn't get me change my name PAH-PAH/ Kunta Kinte a slave again? No SIR/ Picture black man say yessa Mastah (NO!)." Oh, and that part that's all goofy? She just plays the previous line backwards. My sister thought it was French or something. (I put my thing down, flip it and reverse it = itse reverdn atipil fnwod gniht ymtupI)
18. Love Rollercoaster, Red Hot Chili Peppers. I love RHCP. Perfect ending rump shaker, IMO.
I barely made all of this fit, but if I could have added one more song? Pussy Control by Prince. It's the most pole dancing song I have ever heard, and it's all about the positivity. Seriously.
One more later today, then a week's break while I go AWAY.