I had this done before the great Sick Fest '04, so marlo, you should (hopefully) get this by the end of the week. For those of you on my Flist who don't know her, she is one of the first people in LJ that I friended over her interests. She rocks, she digs the Sc-Fi Wasabi, like HP fanfic (and has recced me some good stories), and is cute ta boot.
marlo requested "Crazy," and requested NO boy bands or Aerosmith. That was easy. I added the sci-fi twist, because I knew she'd dig it.
1. Tears for Fears, Mad World. I love these guys, and their cuts that were NOT played over and over on the radio are far better. "The dreams in which I'm dying are the best I've ever had." Sad and moody.
2. Radiohead, Paranoid Android. I knew this band before this song and liked them. Then I heard THIS song and became obsessed. Quite possibly the best video for a song EVER. All of the key and tempo changes... They are our generation's Pink Floyd.
3. Wilco, Kamera. Lies will drive you crazy. Oh, and I still love this band.
4. Cypress Hill, Insane in the Brain. Eh, Ese! Don't you know I'm loco? Good god I love this band. I DARE you to listen to this song and stay sitting down. How many of you heard this and thought "insane in the membrane? Midbrain? What the hell are they saying?"
5. B-52s, Private Idaho. WIth as popular as this song was, I couldn't understand why my use of that phrase to mean "crazy" wasn't understood by my "crew." Example, my mother, who is bat shit crazy, is "living in her own private Idaho."
6. Cibo Matto, Sci-Fi Wasabi. Japanese rap!! "Obi Wan Kenobi is-a waiting for me." Crazy good.
7. B-52s, Rock Lobster. Yeah, yeah, I just had them, but I LOVE them. And a song about crawdads? Or mud puppies if you're in Louisana, od Crawfish if you're "civilized." "Down, down down!! She doo be wop. Ooo!"
8. Patsy Cline, Crazy. Had to. This song makes me ache. And it makes me think of Fred crawling out of the hotel to sing karaoke to Angel, who isn't interested. NERD ALERT.
9. Phish, Scent of a Mule. So it's a hoe-down, right? And aliens show up? And the mule is scared? And the aliens are nice? And it's a hoe-down? You with me? Phish rules.
10. 311, All Mixed Up. Remeber how a few playlists back I said how cool and pretty these guys are? That's still true. And this song is good.
11. Ozzy Osbourne, Crazy Train. Ay iy iy! If only for the intro alone is this song kickin'. If I had the Pat Boone version, I STILL wouldn't have put it on. Their "reality show" ruined it for me.
12. Brave Combo, Sukiyaki Twist. DO you know these guys? A polka band from the Dallas area? POLKA. Oh, and they play acid jazz, zydeko, and 15 other kinds of music. They RULE. And this is a Japanese POLKA. If that isn't crazy... And it's really good!
13. Queen, Crazy Little Thing Called Love. Loose connection, I know, but I'm feeling some serious Queen love lately.
14. Elvis Costello, Watching the Detectives. I remember being young when this came out and thinking crazy thoughts about the chick it's about. "She's filing her nails while they're dragging the lake..." She kills someone, is hanging out watching them do their job and thinking how cute they are. Psycho! And anything by Elvis Costello is greatness.
15. Jane's Addiction, Idiots Rule. Did anyone read that song title and IMMEDIATELY think of our newly re-elected President? Hee hee.
16. William Shatner, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds. OH. MY. GOD. Quite possible the worst idea for a cover EVER. It's like he took a bowlful of acid and grabbed a microphone. I am strangely in love with this song.
Okay, will have two more today, but will spread out the posts so you don't all end up hating me for the spam. Plus, I have pics to post!! AND EVIL MOLLY IS IN THEM!! Hee hee hee.